Music is an important element of our “Worship” at St Mary Magdalene and is chosen to reflect and build on each week’s readings from Scripture. The songs range from upbeat to prayerful, and are both traditional and modern in style. The music is rooted in traditional Anglican hymns with the addition of different genres including praise, gospel, and folk. Our music creates a welcoming atmosphere for people to enjoy and sing along with.
- I will sing of the Lord’s great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations.
- I will declare that your love stands firm forever, that you have established your faithfulness in heaven itself.
St. Mary Magdalene Anglican Church
Videos of past services and selected hymns
Classical pianist and piano teacher Petya Karakoleva has over 20 years’ experience in music, both on the stage, as a soloist and collaborative pianist, and in the piano studio, teaching students of all ages and levels.
Petya’s career knows no boundaries. In Bulgaria, she earned her Artist Diploma in piano performance and piano pedagogy. In the United States, she earned her Bachelor of Music. From the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto, she received the “Advanced Specialist – Piano Designation” certification. And most recently, Petya received her Bachelor of Education degree in Artist in Community Education from Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario. Petya has also won several piano competitions, and the Royal Conservatory of Music named her Gold Medal Teacher.
As a collaborative pianist, Petya has worked for a wide range of arts companies, organizations and educational institutions – to name just a few:
- the National Conference of the Ballet Masters of America;
- the Royal Academy of Dance (R.A.D. ) classes and examinations;
- the Dance Educators of America’s yearly summer seminars;
- the Nevada Ballet Company;
- Opera Las Vegas Company;
- Cirque du Soleil:
- Céline Dion;
- the Las Vegas Contemporary Dance Theatre;
- the Nevada School of the Arts;
- the School of Dance, Canterbury High School;
- Alberta Ballet;
- the National Ballet of Canada;
- the Kingston School of Dance, and others.
In Canada, Petya has performed in Montréal, Toronto, and at the National Arts Centre in Ottawa. She has also performed at the Canadian Museum of History and the National Gallery of Canada. Petya has taught piano at the Nevada School of the Arts, Wen Piano Institute, the Ottawa School of Music, the School of Dance, the Manotick School of Music, and privately.
St. Mary Magdalene Anglican Church is delighted to welcome Petya Karakoleva to take over the role of music accompanist.
Emily Worden-Kwok was the Music Director from 2020 until 2023.